It wanted to write something to provide a word of encouragement to Tinnitus and Hyperacusis sufferers and also in a way to say thank you to Dr. Nagler for his support and wisdom that is so important during difficult times.
My tinnitus and hyperacusis began out of an unknown reason, the tinnitus was the first thing that I perceived and hyperacusis soon after. Like many people, I went into panic mode, I was petrified to think of how people can live with these conditions. It was very scary to say the least. I was trying to find any way possible cure them. I saw couple ear and throat doctors and they assure me that there was nothing wrong with my hearing, physically everything was fine yet I could not stand the constant ringing and pain of loud noises. I tried diets, supplements, internet programs, meditation, acupuncture, yet my tinnitus and hyperacusis were still there. I have always been an anxious person but since the Tinnitus and Hyperacusis onset I became anxious 24/7 nonstop, all I could hear was the ringing and run away from loud noises (so I thought). I saw Dr. Nagler which brought common sense and wisdom into the crazy world of tinnitus and hyperacusis. I started working on NOT focusing on tinnitus and NOT running away from sound and trying to live life as normal as possible, at that moment is when I started to recover. I also think that there is always someone that has it much worse than you do, sometimes being thankful for what you have now, seeing the world around you can help you overcome the annoyance of tinnitus. My tinnitus and hyperacusis has gotten a lot better to the point that is none existing anymore. There are many times that I wonder if I still have tinnitus because I go weeks without hearing it. I just don't hear it anymore but then if I go into a quiet room I can hear it loud and clear, it is loud. I guess this is what we call habituation. The more attention you give to your hearing the more sensitive it gets and the more you notice things including tinnitus and hyperacusis, the brain is an amazing thing, it can tune things out.
The best advice I can give to someone with tinnitus and hyperacusis are these things.
1. Do not ever think is impossible to habituate, never lose hope, have faith, and pray.
2. See an ear and throat doctor, make sure things are OK with your ears
3. Follow the advice of people like Dr. Nagler
4. Do not spend a dime on magic pills, "revolutionary" programs, supplements, snake oils, etc.
5. Get back to living your live as quickly as you possible can
6. Stay away from internet browsing (google) and internet forum regarding tinnitus and hyperacusis
7. See a doctor do a complete health check including insulin and hormone levels
8. Live a healthy life style (eat healthy and exercise) not because it would help with tinnitus or hypercusis but because you would make you a healthier person.
Good luck and god bless you all