Dr. Nagler's Tinnitus Corner
Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
allancurran

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
 #1 

Hi Dr Nagler

 

Hope you are well?

Yes it me again with another question.  After I first contacted you in October last year I went through a very stressful period which included a lack of sleep, anxiety, depression etc and I was also smoking and inhaling multiple cigars in my back garden in freezing temperatures throughout the night, night after night for months.   I’m sure I had a slight head cold during this period and I’m sure the thick cigar smoke wasn’t helping my mucus levels.  One week I tried to clean my act up and started to hit the gym and swimming pool, but hurt my back at the end of that week.

But from that point on I would often get a muffled sensation in my left ear especially as I talked to people and a blocked sensation on the left as well when it happened.  I thought perhaps I had some water in my ear from the pool.  This would come and go.

That eventually passed [or at least I haven’t experienced it for a while]  but now I’m left with an occasional crackling noise in the same left ear.  It occurred to me recently that the new noise in my left ear, like an intermittent meeping sound,  may actually have been cause by this dysfunction, because they both started at approximately the same time?

Yesterday I noticed a similar noise in my right ear but I also noted this crackling too, especially if air comes up on me [a burp in other words], although the crackling is not so pronounced as the left ear.

So I’m thinking these two noises are perhaps related to a small case of eustachian tube dysfunction?

What’s your experience with this?  Will the new noises go once the ETD resolves?  Any tips for making that happen?

 

Thanks

 

Allan

Dr. Nagler

Owner
Registered:
Posts: 1,759
 #2 
Quote:
Hope you are well?

Yes I am well, Allan. Thank you for asking. Life is GREAT. I stress that it is great because I have loud screaming tinnitus 24/7, yet for me life is still great.

Quote:
Yes it me again with another question

Right. Very good to see you again! I am happy to try to help in any way I can. But at some point I hope you will begin to examine why your life is not great in spite of your tinnitus. Just a thought.

Quote:
After I first contacted you in October last year I went through a very stressful period which included a lack of sleep, anxiety, depression etc and I was also smoking and inhaling multiple cigars in my back garden in freezing temperatures throughout the night, night after night for months.   I’m sure I had a slight head cold during this period and I’m sure the thick cigar smoke wasn’t helping my mucus levels.  One week I tried to clean my act up and started to hit the gym and swimming pool, but hurt my back at the end of that week.

But from that point on I would often get a muffled sensation in my left ear especially as I talked to people and a blocked sensation on the left as well when it happened.  I thought perhaps I had some water in my ear from the pool.  This would come and go.

That eventually passed [or at least I haven’t experienced it for a while]  but now I’m left with an occasional crackling noise in the same left ear.  It occurred to me recently that the new noise in my left ear, like an intermittent meeping sound,  may actually have been cause by this dysfunction, because they both started at approximately the same time?

Yesterday I noticed a similar noise in my right ear but I also noted this crackling too, especially if air comes up on me [a burp in other words], although the crackling is not so pronounced as the left ear.

So I’m thinking these two noises are perhaps related to a small case of eustachian tube dysfunction?

What’s your experience with this?  Will the new noises go once the ETD resolves?  Any tips for making that happen?

Help me for a minute, please. so I can be in a better position to help you. Referring specifically to the two sounds you describe above, the crackling sound in your right ear after you burp as well as the occasional crackling noise in your left ear, how often over a 24-hour period do you experience these two brief sounds? Three times, five times, ten times? Forgetting for just a moment about your ETD and focusing strictly on the two sounds, please think about it and let me know.

Thanks -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.


__________________

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- Mahatma Gandhi

No bird ever soared in a calm. Adversity is what lifts us.
-
David McCullough quoting Wilbur Wright
allancurran

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
 #3 

Hi Dr Nagler

The crackling sensation when air comes back up on me or the squelching sensation I could feel [like there was water in my outer ear canal, but wasn't] was happening all the time, but  I'm pleased to say in the past 24 to 36 hours this has by and large stopped.

I've been using a steamer once, perhaps twice a day with some Olbas Oil and also doing some facial ET massage techniques I found on YouTube for a few days now and it seems to have helped.

The loud bells I had in my left ear [subject of another post] 4 weeks ago I now believe was as a consequence of either an infection or mucus in my left ear/ear ET because at the same time I had that,  I had occasional muffled voice sensation in my left ear and a fullness sensation across my left cheekbone.

For the past three weeks I've been battling  a serious chest infection and I had 3 rounds of antibiotics for it, but although they didn't take care of my chest, the by product is it may have took care of my left ear and as a consequence this crackling and squelching was the remnants.

I did go to my doctors yesterday who said I have some impacted ear wax against my left ear drum and a little on my right, which I am to treat with olive oil drops.

As for the new sounds, they are still there albeit faintly and my main sound seems to mask them most of the time.

Hopefully when my cough clears up and the wax comes out I might see further improvement.

 

Thanks very much

 

Allan

 

 

 

Dr. Nagler

Owner
Registered:
Posts: 1,759
 #4 

As I see it, Allan, the problem is that you are ... normal.

Right, you are normal.

Everybody experiences auditory crackles several times a day. Everybody! Most of the time the crackles go unnoticed. It's just that since your brain is on "high alert" because of your other auditory challenges, you happen to notice the crackles more. But there is nothing wrong.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.



__________________

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- Mahatma Gandhi

No bird ever soared in a calm. Adversity is what lifts us.
-
David McCullough quoting Wilbur Wright
allancurran

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
 #5 

Hi Dr Nagler

I agree that you get little pops and cracks but with respect this was something definitely more tangible than that. 

But again I have another question...since my noise exposure in October last year my Tinnitus just hasn't settled into anything steady.

You may recall I mentioned 8 weeks ago I started getting loud meeps in my left ear?  8 weeks later that has quietened down a bit but last week my right ear started making similar noises albeit they are not in time with each other.

I am so sick of this. 

I've had 20 years of the same noise, I always knew what to expect - some days were ok others it was bothersome [My original T from 1997 was from an ear infection treated with gentomycin on a perforated ear drum] , but now I've got additional noises that come; go; get louder; go quieter and its something new every other week.

Does it ever settle?   Noise induced T seems to have a mind of its own!

Now I'm noticing if I stretch say in the morning and stifle a big yawn I get this noise in my right ear that seems to be generated closer to the surface of the skin, that comes on when I do this and stops when the stretch is over.  I've also noticed if I press on my targus I can bring on this sound and modulate it [ A practice I don't intend to do].

Any suggestions what this might be?  Why is it so localised to the inner ear when T is supposed to be generated in the brain?

And finally I have some impacted wax in both ears, I was told to use olive oil, but I don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed to make things feel worse.  Can the ear drum absorb substances like olive oil or bicarbonate of soda into the inner ear and irritate it? 

 

Thank you once again for your kind help.

 

Allan

Dr. Nagler

Owner
Registered:
Posts: 1,759
 #6 
Quote:
I agree that you get little pops and cracks but with respect this was something definitely more tangible than that.

Allan, 100% of the folks who find their everyday pops and cracks to be bothersome on any level are absolutely convinced that their pops and cracks are in some way "more tangible than that" ... until they come to realize that their situation is nothing special at all.

Quote:
Noise induced T seems to have a mind of its own!

Tinnitus is a sound, Allan. A sound cannot possibly have a mind of its own. 100% of the power your tinnitus has over you comes from you. I have told you a number of times what I believe you should do to take that power back. You do not think my approach will work in your case, and I absolutely respect your right to feel that way. But please do not expect me to change my opinion just because you don't like it!

Quote:
Why is it so localised to the inner ear when T is supposed to be generated in the brain?

It is localized to the ear because it is an auditory signal. If it were an olfactory signal, it would be localized to your nose, and you would smell it. If it were a gustatory signal, it would be localized to your tongue, and you would taste it. But it's an auditory signal - so you hear it. Think how weird it would be to have an auditory signal localized to your knees!

Quote:
Can the ear drum absorb substances like olive oil or bicarbonate of soda into the inner ear and irritate it? 

No, not if your eardrum is intact.

Hope this helps.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.



__________________

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- Mahatma Gandhi

No bird ever soared in a calm. Adversity is what lifts us.
-
David McCullough quoting Wilbur Wright
allancurran

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
 #7 

Dear Dr Nagler

Thank you for your response.

When I said tinnitus has a mind of its own I was speaking figuratively to convey what appears to be the complete randomness of it all.  I'm certainly not trying to change your opinion at all – I have too much respect for your position to do that and I did actually agree that perhaps I wasn’t applying the principles of CBT correctly.  I am open to any suggestion that helps get us through this and I apologise if I have offended you.

I am, like us all at some point, trying to make sense of it all.  I just don’t understand how one hour’s amateur piano playing 5 months ago can still be giving me so many problems like introducing new noises, just last week.

This is my first experience with tinnitus I believe was caused by noise, whereas my previous 20 year experience of tinnitus was through infection and ototoxic medicine directly into the ear.  It’s also my first experience with multiple noises at the same time – an overarching piercing whine and meeps in each ear and I’m struggling to live with it.  

Like everyone at some stage I am trying to find that place in my mind where I accept that it’s there, even when its loud and intruding but it has no emotional impact over me.  I had it once, but things were different then – one tone; one constant pitch, varied in volume now and then to a consistently loud and varied tinnitus with what feels like a new tone each week, and its difficult, so difficult to keep re-calibrating my mind to try and cope.

Thanks

Allan

Dr. Nagler

Owner
Registered:
Posts: 1,759
 #8 

 

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

You are welcome.

Quote:
When I said tinnitus has a mind of its own I was speaking figuratively to convey what appears to be the complete randomness of it all.

There are a gazillion things in the world that are completely random. It is not the randomness of your tinnitus that is the problem. It is the power that you have given to your tinnitus that is the problem. But I have already said that on a number of occasions.

Quote:
I am, like us all at some point, trying to make sense of it all.

Well here is something else that I have already said - on a number of occasions: The first step in overcoming your tinnitus is when you have finally figured out that you cannot figure it out at all.

Allan, you are trying to make sense of something that you yourself have (correctly) concluded is completely random. That's like hitting your thumb repeatedly with a hammer. At some point you need to stop!!!!! I have can only say that so many different ways. And I can only tell you where I think you should turn for help so many times.

I wish you well with it.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.


__________________

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- Mahatma Gandhi

No bird ever soared in a calm. Adversity is what lifts us.
-
David McCullough quoting Wilbur Wright
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.



Dr. Nagler's Tinnitus Corner is provided for education and information only. It is not intended for the purpose of providing medical care and should in no way substitute for appropriate in-person consultations with qualified healthcare professionals. By using this site, participants agree to hold Dr. Nagler and Atlanta Tinnitus Consultants, LLC harmless with respect to any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage arising from following the postings herein.